Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Gail M. Funk, 73

Belmont, NY – Gail M. Funk, 73, of Belmont passed away on Tuesday, April 4,2023, at Jones Memorial Hospital in Wellsville, with her family at her side. She was born August 14, 1949, in Wellsville, the daughter of Kenneth A. and Virginia I. (White) Johnson. On December 17, 1966, in Belmont, she married Victor L. Funk who survives.

Gail was a 1967 graduate of Belmont High School. She was a very successful and driven salesperson and entrepreneur with a strong work ethic. Selling for a water purification company in the early years, she later owned and operated Funker’s in Belmont for many years, and Mother’s Pickin’ Chickin’; a campground that featured Blue Grass and Barbeque also in Belmont. She played the banjo for the band Reunion in the 1980’s and was a member of the Herbert DeLong American Legion Auxiliary Unit 808. An avid collector of many antiquities, she was an expert on marbles, and contributed to a book on marbles. She enjoyed putting old wooden puzzles together and loved to travel to Las Vegas. She was very charismatic, and outgoing, loved to socialize, and was extremely charitable.     

Surviving in addition to her husband Vic, is a daughter, Kimberley Jones of Belmont, a son, Craig Funk of Canandaigua, a grandson, Jared Granger, a granddaughter, Karlee Jones, her mother, Virginia Johnson of Erin, TN, a sister, Deborah Varney of Belmont, as well as several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her father, Ken, and infant daughter, Heather, a brother, Thomas Johnson, and a sister, Karen Johnson.

A Celebration of Life is being planned and will be announced at a later date. Please consider memorial donations to the Amity Rescue Squad, or the Hart Comfort House. To leave online condolences, please visit www.embserfuneralhome.com.

16 comments:

  1. Great lady. Funny. Had pleasure of having her for a neighbor. Sending Sincere Condolences to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb Varney, I am so very sorry for your loss! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am stunned with this sad news . She was so much apart of our family growing up - she was more than just my cousin - she was a friend . She was loved by many & will be sadly missed by many .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vic
    Sorry to hear about Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classmate that was loved by all. Energetic and wild but so fun to be around.
    Prayers and good memories to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A classmate that was loved by all. She was Energetic and Wild kept teachers on them toes.
    Prayers and good memories to her family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful vibrant picture of Aunt Gail! My heart is with family.…Cherishing the memories. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori Jeffers RisserApril 5, 2023 at 9:40 PM

    So sorry to hear about Gail . My prayers are with you Victor and the rest of the family. Sorry Aunt Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  9. RIP Gail. My condolences to Vic and Gail's family

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sincere condolences to Victor and her family! Such a wonderful woman! Vivacious, funny, full of love and the life of a party, actually any event! I will never forget her humor, wit and her awesome laugh! Beautiful singing voice! Loved her performances! God has gained such a wonderful addition! See you again my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will miss you my beloved sister. So many memories I have to cherish. A unique one of a kind soul who left an impact on everyone she met. I will love you forever til we meet in the great by and by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed that great salon in the woods, Gail was a fantastic gal who never was at a loss to let you know where you stood. She will be missed..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail was a good friend to me. Things I'll always remember about Gail: us sitting around the campfire and Gail telling me about the Adventures she had in her life. Gail always lived life to the fullest!! Gail and her sister signing what beautiful voices. She always stuck up for me.
    Vic, remember the good times you had with her. You and your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our sincere condolences to you and your family. May your memories give you peace and comfort.
    Steve & Terre Aronson
    Canandaigua, NY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris Goddard, a marble friend… So sorry to hear! She was always fun to be around at the shows. My dad and her did a lot of marble buy/trade/sell. But her friendship meant a lot more than that.
    Her loss will be hard to anyone who knew her. I pray for comfort and peace to the family and friends

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear and our sympathies to Victor and family. Gail was one of Leah and my first marble friends. She was a big factor in my need to buy Cat Eye marbles!

    ReplyDelete