Thursday, December 26, 2019

Robert J. Madden



Wellsville, NY - Robert J. Madden, 86, a former resident of 144 Trapping Brook Road passed away Wednesday, December 25, 2019 at Manor Hills. He was born June 28, 1933 at Tullar Maternity Hospital in Wellsville,  the son of the late Theodore and Catherine (Brennan) Madden. On September 23, 1961 at St. Joseph's Church in Scio he married Catherine J. Baker who predeceased him on April 6, 1992.


Bob was a 1949 graduate of the Immaculate Conception School, and Wellsville High School in 1951. He was employed at Worthington Corporation for 43 years, retiring as a pattern maker in 1994. He was an active member of the Dyke Street Engine Company Company No. 2, where he served as secretary for 58 years. He was a life member of the Volunteer Fireman's Association of Allegany County and the Southwestern Association of Volunteer Fireman, a member of the the Fireman's Association of New York State, a member past president of the Scio Senior Sunshine Club, and a member of the Immaculate Conception Church, where he served as an usher for many years.  Bob enjoyed living at Manor Hills were he resided since June of 2015. He also enjoyed woodworking, and collecting model firetrucks.  

He is survived by his daughter Janet E. (Lori Niemi) Madden of Plymouth MA, and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased in addition to his parents and wife by a brother Edward Madden, and a sister, Marlene McDowell.   
Friends are invited to call on Saturday, December 28, 2019 from 11:00 to 12:00 pm  at the Immaculate Conception Church, 36 Maple Avenue in Wellsville. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Saturday at 12 noon following visitation. Burial will be in Sacred Heart Cemetery, Wellsville. Please consider memorial donations to the Dyke Street Engine Company #2 To leave online condolences, please visit www.embserfuneralhome.com.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Janet,
    I was so sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. I think I have know your Dad all my life through my Dad, Charlie Hull. Bob always had a wonderful smile and happy greeting whenever I saw him. He was a grand conversationalist. I am sorry you and I never got to meet when our Dads were at Manor Hills together. Your father was a wonderful volunteer in the community. Men like him have kept Wellsville alive and have shown the next generations how to give back. i am sorry we can't be with you to celebrate your Dad's well-lived life. My husband and I send our deepest sympathy. Our hearts go out to you as we wish you wonderful memories of your Dad and know he will live on in your heart. Zalie Hull & Bob Linn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Zalie, I am grateful for your thoughtful note. I, too, feel like I knew your father all my life through our fathers’ commitment to the Dykes. Charlie was well remembered and a part of the many stories that were recalled and shared at the lunch after the funeral. My father enjoyed your father’s friendship for so many years in the fire department and then at Manor Hills. I know he missed him in these past few years. I wish our paths had crossed; but in some ways, it feels like they did. Thank you for your note.. Janet

    ReplyDelete