Wednesday, March 9, 2011

George E. Emerson

Shongo, NY - George E. Emerson, 85, of 494-1 Route 19 South died peacefully at home on Wednesday, March 9, 201l, surrounded by his family. He was born on August 30, 1925 in the town of Wirt, the son of the late Lewis and Harriet (Moyer) Emerson. On January 5, 1947 in Hornell he married Nancy Pascoe who survives.

George attended Bolivar Central School and at that time was employed at the munitions plant in Eldred, PA. He was a veteran of the U. S. Navy serving during WWII in the European Theater of Operation. He saw action during Exercise Tiger in April of 1944 and received the Purple Heart. After the war, he was employed as an apprentice carpenter for three and a half years at Swanson Corporation in Portville while residing in Olean. He later owned and operated George's Restaurant in Shongo for 23 years. He then worked for the Potter County Housing Authority in Ulysses, PA for three years.

He was a member of the Southern Tier Chapter of the New York State U. S. Amphibious Forces Association. Through the years he enjoyed taking family trips and trips with his Navy friends, he also enjoyed carpentry, wood crafting and gardening.

Surviving in addition to his wife are three sons, John (Linda) Emerson of Bloomington, Indiana, Steve (Cathy) Emerson and Larry (Belinda) Emerson both of Shongo, three daughters, Sally (Bob) Dougherty and Cindy (Dick) Jadwin both of Wellsville and Lori (Dan) Wood of Genesee, PA, 14 grandchildren, seven great grandchildren, one brother, Jack Emerson of Wayland, two sisters, Anna Jane (Cliff) Rought of Zephyr Hills, Florida and Gail (Sheldon) Boor of Dansville as well as several nieces & nephews. He was predeceased in addition to his parents by and infant grandson, Jeffery Michael Scoville, a brother, Eslie Emerson and two sisters, Esther Witter and Sandy Petrillo.

Friends are invited to call on Friday, from 3:00 to 4:00 and 7:00 to 9:00 pm at the J. W. Embser Sons Funeral Home Inc. in Wellsville. The funeral will be Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm in the funeral home with Rev. Jerry Ward presiding. Full military honors will follow at the funeral home and burial will be in Genesee Cemetery. Memorial donations are suggested to Home Care & Hospice. To leave online condolences, please visit www.embserfuneralhome.com.

2 comments:

  1. Jan Bierman TalbettMarch 9, 2011 at 11:06 PM

    I'm sorry to hear of George passing. I was also glad to hear he was at peace and with his family. I had many long talks and learned a lot from George. I played with his kids and swam in his pond, Then when I grew up, I served his twins their first "legal" beer and George stopped by and showed me his new hearing aid. Oh, the little things you remember. I remember when I had some problem at my house and he stopped to look at it and steered me in the right direction. It's been while, but I used to stop in once and a while to say hello. George and Nancy always welcomed me in. May he rest in peace and his family feel comforted that his suffering is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriet Emerson PaulMarch 12, 2011 at 1:46 AM

    Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. As Uncle George goes to be with so many of the family, I am sure grandma, grandpa, Uncle Eslie, Aunt Sandy, Aunt Ester, cousins Kenny and Lee and my mom are welcoming him to his second home. All of those people are missed greatly. I am sure there are others that I have forgotten, or maybe even never knew, as I never did know a lot of my family on my fathers side. I missed out on a great family. As one life ends, I can only say, I have gained a relationship with a family that I am proud to be a part of. I love you all. Keep the memories a top priority as they are all very good ones. Harriet Emerson Paul

    ReplyDelete